2009-01-01

A New Year, A New Bike (AKA You Did What?)


Having just returned from Florida aboard my 2004 BMW R1150RT, it wouldn’t seem that getting rid of it was in order. And truth be told, I really wasn’t looking to replace it. It is a sweet bike, with lovely curves that BMW has since gotten rid of. The new RT bikes have a much more angular look and are lacking the curves. But a funny thing happened. I was reading the For Sale area of the BMWSportTouring web site, when I stumbled across an ad for a 2009 RT. The price was right and so I asked Teri about it. I think she was reluctant at first, but said it was a good deal. I contacted the guy and got the information, called the bank and got approval from the money people to buy it, then I went looking for a plane to Fort Wayne, IN, where the bike was located. That’s where the realization started kicking in...

They guy was asking about 2 K less than what a bike like that locally was selling in the BMW bike world, that’s huge. But add in plane fare, gas, hotels and the difference between the two starts to shrink. I had to go to the local BMW shop to pick up two o-rings that had developed an issue on my recent trip. So, I asked the sales manager if he had any interest in a trade; he didn’t. I also told him the story about the ‘used’ 09 with 608 miles on it that I was going to buy, but out of kicks asked if they were willing to move on a bike that was nearly identical to the one in Fort Wayne, I was was going to get. Turns out December 30/31st is a great time to buy a bike, and he was willing to work with me on the price. Turns out when everything was said and done, the price difference was within a couple of hundred dollars. I called the guy back in Fort Wayne, explained the deal the local dealership was giving me and apologized. I’m sure he was upset, I would be if I was in his shoes, but it happens in sales.

So, now I have a brand new silver 2009 BMW R1200RT, along with my 2004 BMW R1150RT, and my 2007 Buell Ulysses... anybody want a deal on a 2004 BMW R1150RT with lots of extras? I have listed it, now I need to clean it up and take photos, so I can get it moved out of my shed and into somebody else’s house.

No comments: