2008-12-21

Delays, Delays, Delays


Off we roared onto 290 East headed to Florida. GPS devices are wonderful tools, but they can be a bit dangerous too as we were to find out. I decided to try and skip Houston and skirt it by getting off 290 and taking 2920 through Tomball. Great plan on paper, but the reality is, the traffic and traffic lights are horrible going that way. We were in stop and go traffic and really starting to frustrate us as we both realized my error in just looking at the maps.

We finally got on a roll after dinner (and nearly an hour behind schedule) as we rode on US 90. Then we came to a screeching halt. We were near Liberty Texas and according to a couple of folks who got out of their cars to come talk to us, there was a pedestrian/car accident and the pedestrian had died. As we sat there for over an hour in traffic, Teri and I decided that our plan on making it to Baton Rouge was nowhere in the plans now. It would be nearly 1130 PM if we tried. Our best option was to stop in Beaumont, and try and make up the time tomorrow. The sad part is we had made reservations online, which to get the discount required a non-refundable prepayment. Oh well, we're on vacation right? 

We got started late the next day, well late for me. Typically, I'm on the road by No later than 6 AM. That wasn't happening on this trip more like 9-10 AM. I rerouted our trip to hit I-10/I-12 to cut down our miles. What I didn't realize was that I-10 was just as frustrating at times. Construction, traffic accidents, and who knows what forced us to a crawl on I-1o multiple times the next day. The pay off was once we hit the Florida state line (much later than anticipated), the traffic was nearly non-existent and we flew down I-10 till we finally go off the major road and onto state highways. We rolled off the road and into our motel room about 9:30 PM. Only about 7 hours later than originally planned. 

Photos (not too many so far 1-10 doesn't really inspire me to take photos): http://flickr.com/photos/82683679@N00/collections/72157611407160309/

No comments: