2008-12-26

Going, Going, Gone...

So we started our Disney gorge feast at Magic Kingdom, then we moved onto Epcot Center, and then onto Animal Kingdom. If you go online and read the reviews, people tend to dislike Epcot and Animal Kingdom, most claim you can see them in half a day. We didn't feel this way, we all really liked Animal Kingdom. But then we really like zoo's and animals, so maybe that has something to do with it. On Christmas Day, we decided to go back to Magic Kingdom. Now, we've made some mistakes on this trip, starting with my route around Houston that caused us to bed down in Beaumont instead of Baton Rouge. But I think deciding to go back to Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day was as big of a mistake, maybe bigger.

The park was crazy! Maybe it's me, but I really can't understand what makes people want to stand in a line for over 70 minutes for a ride that takes two to three minutes tops. I couldn't believe how many people were at the park. I hate to think what the park looks like during a busy day during the summer. Nearly everything had at least an hour wait until you get on the ride. Thankfully we finally figured out the fastpass thing and we were able ride a couple of the rides that we missed on Monday. We purchased the five day tickets, but after four days of Disney, we were spent. Teri and I made the decision to pass on day five of Disney. The fact is, we were only going to go to a park for a few hours since we had planned to ride 400 miles to Andalusia, Alabama.

We got an early start today, a first for us on this trip. After eating at what had become our regular breakfast spot, we left the local Waffle House aboard our BMW motorcycles. This is what people don't understand about motorcycles, you don't have to wait in a line for 90 minutes and the ride can be as long as you want. Today that ride was eight hours long, not two to three minutes and it was, at least for me, every bit as thrilling as a Disney ride.

When I think Florida, I think beach, surf, waves. Everything related to beaches, and part of that is how Florida itself promotes itself in advertisements about Florida. However, today as we passed through Central Florida, I saw a part of Florida that reminded me of Virginia, complete with horse farms and hay bales. As I passed through the area, I couldn't help but think that the tourism bureau of Florida needs to promote that part of Florida. One thing has impressed me about Florida and that's the amount of parks. Seems you can't throw a rock without hitting a park, makes me kind of wish we had done a tour of those types of parks instead of Disney's parks. Oh well, we have bikes and know how to travel. Maybe next time. :-)

No comments: